UpStart init — based on events of replacing / sbin / init daemon which monitors the running tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown and monitor them during operation.
Initially this system was designed for Ubuntu, but it can be used in any Linux-system, as a replacement for the classic System V — init.
What has already been implemented:
- Tasks and Services are started and stopped by events.
- Events generated by the tasks and services are started and stopped.
- Events can be received from other system processes.
- Services may be terminated if the dead «by accident».
- Monitoring and restarting daemons, regardless of the parent process.
- Interaction with the init daemon via D-Bus
initctl — Management Utility
--system // interaction with the init is usually done through a socket. This option forces to communicate through the D-bus
--no-wait // used to start stop restart emit commands usually waits for the init process is finished, then he would not be expected.
--quiet // disables everything except errors.
start JOB // start of the process, for example atd.
stop JOB // stop of the process
status JOB // receive this status daemon (stopped || run && pid)
list // get a list of all known processes and displays information about them on the screen
reload-configuration // make init-daemon to reload its configuration.